Thursday, December 24, 2015

Q&A Review: Their Fractured Light (Starbound #3) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner


The Q&A book review is a new format of reviewing I'm trying out for when I'm just not in the mood for bulky paragraphs. Also, I think it helps out readers as well to get direct answers/info about the book rather than me longwindedly ranting/raving about the romance story. What'll most likely happen is that I'll switch between book review formats, but please don't hesitate to comment on whichever format you find works best! Now on to the questions.

Where does this book stand as compared to the rest of the series?

I definitely like this one a little less than the last two, but that's not to say it wasn't mind-glowingly amazing (just that the other two books were that good). The only problem I had with this book was the romance - it's the only thing that kept it from a full five stars. The romance wasn't as intricate and realistic in this one as it was in the other two books where my favorite trope of "I love/hate you" plays out perfectly, and yet Gideon and Sofia's romance is an integral part of the novel, which had me a bit disappointed. However, the plot was brilliant, as always, and the fact that we get to see the couples from the first two books was a really nice addition. In terms of cover, however, I would say this is somewhere in the top two, the other being the first book, These Broken Stars.

Do I need to re-read the other books before I start on this one?

I didn't re-read the series before starting this - I rarely do - and despite a few plot points and minor-ish characters mentioned from the other books, it wasn't a big deal. The book does a good job of making sure you can comprehend the story even without remembering every detail from the rest of the series, so I would definitely recommend going into the novel as soon as you get your hands on it if like me, you're not usually the re-reading type.

PLOT PLOT PLOT. Tell me about it.

Personally, I loved the plot. Like always, it managed to be super science-fiction-y without making the average reader feel like an idiot - always a plus. There was never a lag in the pacing, and there was never a moment I felt bored and wanted to turn to another book for a break. Both Gideon and Sofia have great POV's, and while their romance seemed predictable and rather cliché, watching them work together and untangle their mess of emotions and of course, try their very best to hide their secrets and their pasts, was great. It was also really cool getting to see how each couple from each book in the series was related, and how and why they are important together; it was a real treat getting to see everyone before the end of the series. There is this amazing twist at the end that I did not for the life of me see coming, and oh my gosh, the emotions it rips out of you. Brace yourselves.

Give me a little something about the main characters.

Well, as I mentioned before, the couple in this novel is Gideon and Sofia. We read from Sofia's point of view first, and she meets Gideon at the very beginning of the novel, if very unconventionally. The thing is, they were both attracted to each other from the start, so it felt like a insta-love with issues, which I didn't really appreciate. I mean, they both distrusted each other and whatnot, but they obviously liked each other. And Gideon is so cute about it too. Gideon is basically the best hacker ever, and Sofia is the best actress/spy/whatever she is - both suffered tragedy in their pasts. She wants to get revenge on LaRoux for everything he's done, and Gideon just wants to be the good guy. It's too bad they have slightly different agendas. And trust issues.

If I haven't read this series yet, what would you tell me?

Umm all that comes to mind is that this entire series reminds me a lot of Illuminae - well actually, the other way around since These Broken Stars came first - SO READ IT. If you're fond of epic romances with plots that leave you in awe, you need to try out this series. And how could you possibly not want these covers on your shelves??? (yes, that is a legitimate reason to try reading the book)

Book Synopsis: A year ago, Flynn Cormac and Jubilee Chase made the now infamous Avon Broadcast, calling on the galaxy to witness for their planet, and protect them from destruction. Some say Flynn’s a madman, others whisper about conspiracies. Nobody knows the truth. A year before that, Tarver Merendsen and Lilac LaRoux were rescued from a terrible shipwreck—now, they live a public life in front of the cameras, and a secret life away from the world’s gaze.

Now, in the center of the universe on the planet of Corinth, all four are about to collide with two new players, who will bring the fight against LaRoux Industries to a head. Gideon Marchant is an eighteen-year-old computer hacker—a whiz kid and an urban warrior. He’ll climb, abseil and worm his way past the best security measures to pull off onsite hacks that others don’t dare touch.

Sofia Quinn has a killer smile, and by the time you’re done noticing it, she’s got you offering up your wallet, your car, and anything else she desires. She holds LaRoux Industries responsible for the mysterious death of her father and is out for revenge at any cost.

When a LaRoux Industries security breach interrupts Gideon and Sofia’s separate attempts to infiltrate their headquarters, they’re forced to work together to escape. Each of them has their own reason for wanting to take down LaRoux Industries, and neither trusts the other. But working together might be the best chance they have to expose the secrets LRI is so desperate to hide.

Source: Borrowed a copy from the library.


Title: Their Fractured Light
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Publication Date: December 1, 2015
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Genre: YA, Science-Fiction
Pages: 432 pages